Pressure on the Tsipras government to honour the terms of the bailout deals struck by the previous two Greek governments, terms the new prime minister in Athens has threatened to repudiate, says its priorities will be to cancel austerity and renegotiate the country’s “unsustainable” €320bn (£238bn)debt load.
European Union finance ministers have agreed to loan Ukraine €1.8 billon to stave off a default. Some governments pressed for €2.6 billion in medium-term loans for 2015 and 2016.
Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev:"Russian response - economically and otherwise - will know no limits" if Russia is cut off from the SWIFT payments system. Russia intends to have its own international inter-bank system by May 2015, Russia says it needs its version of SWIFT in case of possible ”challenges” from the West.
Microsoft shares plunged 10 percent Tuesday after the software giant reported quarterly revenue that beat expectations but warned that a weak PC market and a strong dollar will curb growth this year. Many analysts slashed price targets on the stock and some cut their Buy ratings to Hold.
Supporters of higher minimum wage in the US have mentioned Australia's $16.88 an hour minimum wage nearly two times higher than federal minimum wage level in the US. as an example that high wage floor do not necessary suppress a country's economic growth. The country has not suffered a recession for nearly 20 years,
10 percent of Americans own 91 percent of the nation’s stocks and mutual funds. Most of the remainder is held by a “middle class” that is steadily losing ground. The bottom 60 percent is almost entirely shut out. Queen of England worth £17,600,000,000,000. Owns 6.6 billion acres, could end world poverty and hunger all by herself if she wanted to.
President of the Committee on Eastern European Economic Relations in Germany Eckhard Cordes told NDR (North German Broadcasting) Radio that a free trade zone with the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU) would make sense "from the political and economic perspective".
The president of the German central bank, Jens Weidmann, has expressed his disagreement with the ECB's decision to implement quantitative easing. "Bond-buying by the government is not a normal instrument of monetary policy," when carried out in a monetary union like the Eurozone, "is connected with particular drawbacks and risks.
The asset-buying program will also help homeowners with their mortgage payments with the Euribor rate expected to drop further from this week’s 0.28% as a result of lenders’ increased liquidity. With a home ownership rate of nearly 80% and close to 90% of mortgages set at variable rates that depend on the Euribor, Spain stands to gain more than any other eurozone country from this reduction.
Iran no longer uses the US dollar in foreign trade transactions, replacing it with other currencies including Chinese yuan, euro, Turkish lira, Russian ruble and South Korean won; deputy governor at Iranian Central Bank told the Tasnim News Agency.
The billionaires and corporate oligarchs meeting in Davos this week are getting worried about inequality. 80 individuals now have the same net wealth as 3.5 billion people – half the entire global population. 1% will have pocketed more than the other 99% put together.
Retailers and producers should “curb their economic appetite” and drop their level of profit on products; Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
Debt-serfs must borrow money to buy essentials while wealthy borrow to invest in productive assets, goods and services must be paid with highly profitable debt. Need to borrow to pay for essentials evident in student loans, vehicles and housing. Result is a system in which majority of productive assets are owned by the few who have the means to exploit the many.
Ecuadorian Ambassador to Russia Patricio Alberto Chavez Zavala: Russia and Ecuador should adopt financial mechanisms that reduce their dependence on the dollar for international trade, important for our countries to create new mechanisms of financial compensation, which depend on the dollar less in trade. Russia and Ecuador must seek to establish system of payment in national currencies.
The European Central Bank announced it will embark on a fully-fledged quantitative easing program from March, which will break down to €60 billion per month. The move is made to counter a triple-dip recession in the eurozone.
Your donation helps provide a place for people to speak out.
Not tax deductible. email@example.com
|Search the Site||Search the Web|
|<< <||> >>|